Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wanted to Put Down But Didn't / or DID Put Down

From the Broke & the Bookish

I'm a new book blogger, so please follow me!
Follow on Bloglovin

I can't remember 10 of them. There have been a lot of books I've given up on over the years too . . .

Books I Left at the Alter:

1. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - Read about 1 chapter and couldn't stomach the juvenile, horrid writing. Didn't even consider watching the movie once I saw Kristen Stewart's brand of open-mouthed acting.

2. Bloodlines by Richelle Mead - LOVED Adrian and liked Sydney, but the writing, plot, and other characters were horrible.

3. The 10th Circle by Jodi Picoult - I loved My Sister's Keeper, The Pact and a couple of others, but Jodi lost me with this one. Yes, she's innovative in her ideas and but the whole "female character accidentally drinks a beverage with date rape drugs in it then has sex with male character who thinks it's consensual and drama ensues" wasn't plausible to me. This book was exactly why I don't watch Law & Order: SVU. Nothing on there is plausible. Maybe it's b/c I'm a rape survivor. I don't know. Kudos if you finished it and liked it.

Books I Took on the Honeymoon:

1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - This book should come with a big red TRIGGER warning on the front (and in the blurb). For those of us who've been sexually assaulted, any book that sneaks in that subject is hard to take at times, but a book like this blows it out of the water. There are TONS of instances of sexual abuse in this book. It was hard for me to read, but I'm glad I got through it, because overall, I really enjoyed the mystery and the characters. I eagerly devoured the 2 follow-up books. The abuse was only in the first book, so if you can stomach it, the series is good.

2. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead - I wasn't super impressed by the first book, but I thought I'd give the 2nd a shot. Pretty soon, I'd read the whole thing. The ending between the leads left something to be desired, but overall, I was satisfied.

3. The Secret History by Donna Tartt - I was very intrigued by the premise of the story, although intimidated by the length of the book. When things got boring fast, I trucked on . . . and on . . . and was annoyed by the end that I did. The hanging in the woods was never solved and that's really all I wanted to find out anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I also found The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo hard to read and while it wasn't a terrible book, it wasn't for me and I never continued the series. Great list.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Vampire Academy yet but I can't wait to start the series! great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mixed feelings on the Vampire Academy series; I finished the first three, but I have no desire to continue reading them.

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this yet? What did you think?