Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Top Ten Tuesdays: Books About Friends Turned Lovers

From the Broke & the Bookish

I'm a new book blogger, so please follow me!
Follow on Bloglovin


Top Ten Eleven Books About Friends Turned Lovers

I'm always a sucker for a good friendship that turns into more. These aren't necessarily "new" books, but they might be cheaper to buy since they've been around for awhile. :)

In comments, please suggest another book for me to read that's NOT already on this list! I'd love to read a new one!

1. Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married by Marian Keyes - When a psychic tells Lucy she'll be married by the end of the year, Lucy sets out to find her groom. He may be closer than she thinks . . .

2. Just Friends by Robyn Sisman - Freya's sister has nabbed the most eligible bachelor of the century and Freya needs a date. It wouldn't hurt to bring her gorgeous friend, Jack, along would it?

3. Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern - Childhood friends, Rosie & Alex, are separated as teenagers, but continue to correspond into adulthood through letters and emails. A book about missed opportunities finally becomes a book about love at the end.

4. Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin - Rachel & Darcy have been BFFs forever. Darcy is getting ready to marry Dex, the law school friend Rachel introduced her to. But something happens on the night of Rachel's 30th birthday party that will change the lives of all 3.

5. That Boy by Jillian Dodd - JJ (female) grows up playing football with neighbors Phillip and Danny while other girls her age are playing dolls. They're 3 peas in a pod, each of them bringing a unique personality into the mix. The book shows their friendship from grade school through college with a high emphasis on friendship, not romance. JJ does end up with one of the guys by the end of the book, but it isn't clear until the very last minute who "That Boy" is. My review for this series will be up in a day or two, so check back for that!

6. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - A story beloved by everyone out in the book blogosphere. Although I loved Anna and I loved Etienne, I did get annoyed with him. He seemed to whine a lot and run scared back to his ex anytime he and Anna were about to take their friendship to the next level. Not sure if any other readers felt this way, but I just thought there was maybe 1 or 2 many times he acted wimpily. Despite that, there's is a good friendship to more story.

7. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins - Lola grew up next door to the Bell twins, Cricket and Calliope. After developing feelings for Cricket, Lola is upset to discover the family moved out without saying goodbye and is gone for two years before popping up again unexpectedly. By this point, Lola is with boyfriend Max but befriends Cricket again like no time has passed. Will Lola stay with Max or follow her heart to Cricket? Anna and Etienne are in this book too. :)

8. Emma by Jane Austen - Emma and Mr. Knightley. Need I say much more? Mr. Knightley is one of my favorite male Austen characters. I like his personality more than Mr. Darcy (he's nicer, people) although I love the tension between Elizabeth and Darcy more than Emma. Anyway, LOVE how these two have been lifetime friends who suddenly turn into something more, although I suspect Knightley's been waiting for Emma to grow up and see just how much he truly loves her.

9. I See London by Chanel Cleeton - LOVE LOVE LOVE this book and can't wait for the July follow-up London Falling. I loved this more than Anna & the French Kiss! If you read it, I think you'll see why. Maggie and Samir. Fast friends at London University, but always something more. LOVE LOVE LOVE. SWOON SWOON SWOON. Okay. Shutting up.

10. Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen - Juli Baker loves Bryce Loski since the moment her young eyes clapped on him in 2nd grade. She basically stalks him for years until he can't stand her. But, when Juli's attention turns in another direction, Bryce suddenly misses Juli. How is he going to rectify the situation? The story switches between both narrators, and although rectified for ages 10-14, it's a classic for any age.

11. Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern - Rosie and Alex, best friends since childhood, keep in touch by writing emails and letters to one another when each goes off to college. As they read about each others' lives, including romance, they maintain a unique friendship throughout. But what happens when fate finally brings them together, face to face?

5 comments:

  1. I loved Flipped! The movie wasn't too bad either. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books! I haven't read any of these but I own at least half of them! I love a good friendship book too. Have you tried Return to Seaview Key by Sherryl Woods? The main characters are a bit older than the usual (40s vs 20s/30s) but I thought it was a great book about childhood friends figuring out how to be friends again as adults. It was one of those books I didn't expect to like but ended up really enjoying. I'm definitely going to have to find I See London. I think that's one of the few I don't have but it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this topic! I also am quite a sucker for a friends-turned-lover situation. My favorite of those, of course, is Katniss and Peeta in The Hunger Games ;) I haven't read any of these, but several are on my TBR list, so I am glad to hear you've enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Anna and the French Kiss! Though I haven't read Lola and the Boy Next Door yet; I hope it's just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED Anna and the French Kiss! Is it true that Lola and the Boy Next Door is just as good/better?

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this yet? What did you think?