Tuesday, September 30, 2014

This Little Piggy by Bea Davenport


This Little Piggy

By Bea Davenport

Add to Goodreads | Purchase on Amazon
Published by: Legend Press - October 1, 2014
Genres: Mystery, Thriller
Rating: 2.75/3 Stars


It's the summer of 1984 and there is a sense of unease on the troubled Sweetmeadows estate. The residents are in shock after the suspicious death of a baby and tension is growing due to the ongoing miners' strike. Journalist Clare Jackson follows the story as police bungle the inquiry and struggle to contain the escalating violence. Haunted by a personal trauma she can't face up to, Clare is shadowed by nine-year-old Amy, a bright but neglected little girl who seems to know more about the incident than she's letting on. As the days go on and the killer is not found, Clare ignores warnings not to get too close to her stories and, in doing so, puts her own life in jeopardy.


I wasn't sure how to rate this one. Bea Davenport is a master of fluid writing and character creation - there's no doubt about that. My "but" in this case, comes from the fact that I knew who killed the baby almost from the beginning and mostly guessed Finn's (a miner) role in the entire incident. This didn't leave me much to work with. I kept reading because I wanted to finish it, but I was disappointed that the ending played out exactly as I thought. If you read it and were surprised, more power to you. It just didn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this yet? What did you think?