Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux novel #1)
by Jennifer Armentrout

Add to Goodreads | Purchase on Amazon
Published by: Entangled Teen - May 8, 2012
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi
Rating: 4 Stars

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring...until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


Books like this are evil! A well-written, entertaining first book in a series that also contains just the right amount of heat? How can I not buy the second installment?! Since reading the Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead, I've been hoping another YA series would peak my interest, but figured that was impossible. While I like to read young adult stand alone books, I find a lot of young adult series to be a bit too immature for my taste (which is totally fine since I'm a 30-year-old!). Years before picking up VA, I tried to read about 3 chapters of Twilight and couldn't stomach it for many reasons. I almost didn't try VA because I heard they were similar. Not so. I also read that the Lux series was exactly like Twilight only with aliens, and although I can't definitively say there are no similarities (since I never read Twilight nor watched any of the movies), I really loved Obsidian. Even though it is a young adult novel, it was written with maturity. The characters were full of personality, whether positive or negative, and made me feel things.

Daemon is a total *ss for most of the book, but you soon learn why. Katy isn't as strong a protagonist as Rose from VA, but she is still a unique person. She isn't a sterotypical high school archtype like a queen bee or a nerd. She's herself and a formidable opponent to Daemon. Dee is the only other alien we get to know well in the first book, but I suspect the Thompson triplets will come into play in the other books.

The first book introduces the reader to the Lux, their enemies the Arum, and the main characters. I downloaded the next book, Onyx, and am getting ready to read it right now!

1 comment:

  1. I really loved this series starting out, but it go too long for me personally, and I ended up abandoning it. The first few books are really great though :)

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this yet? What did you think?